Matt’s practice focuses on insurance defence litigation covering a wide variety of matters including personal injury, sports and recreational liability claims, liquor liability, professional liability, property damage and subrogated claims.
Matt joined Dolden Wallace Folick in 2013 after gaining litigation experience working for a Canadian national law firm. Matt has appeared at all levels of court in British Columbia and has considerable court room experience. While prepared and able to advocate the position of his client in court, Matt recognizes the value of early resolution, has experience conducting mediations and is consistently attempting to obtain the best result for his client.
Matt’s representative work, and some of the decisions he has been involved in, includes:
- Drafting and waiver review
- Acting for defendants in sports and recreational liability claims
- Acting for defendants in professional negligence claims involving dentists, engineers, architects and other design professionals
- Acting for landlords and property owners in respect of occupier’s liability claims
- Acting for defendants in a range of complex construction matters involving property damage
- Acting for restaurants, bars and pubs in a variety of personal injury matters involving liquor liability, assaults, ejections and motor vehicle accidents
- Acting for defendants in motor vehicle accident claims in which personal injury and property damage are alleged (Perry v. Vargas, 2012 BCSC 1925; Rintoul v. Gabriele, 2011 BCSC 858)
- General commercial litigation including the prosecution of contractual rights (Pandher v. Yellow Cab Co. Ltd., 2010 BCSC 1132; Xu v. Ching, 2009 BCCA 303; Hovey v. Totzauer Holdings Ltd.,2011 BCSC 452)
- The prosecution of subrogated actions including fire losses and construction deficiencies
- Coverage claims
- Acting for insurers with respect to first party claims
- Acting for strata corporations and housing cooperatives in relation to disputes with owners or members and acting for owners with respect to disputes with strata corporations (Guenther v. Owners, Strata Plan KAS431, 2011 BCSC 119)